It only takes one loose stone or a minor impact to damage your windscreen. Now, the number one question in your mind is: Can it still be repaired or does the whole windscreen need to be replaced? Well, the answer to that depends on the size, severity, and location of the damage. If the damage is not that bad, a windscreen repair Carlisle expert should be able to save it.
Can your windscreen still be repaired?
A windscreen repair is cheaper and faster than a replacement; that’s for sure. However, not all types of windscreen damage can be repaired. If the damage is not too serious, it can be easily repaired without any compromise to the safety and strength of the windscreen. A more severe damage, on the other hand, will need a full replacement. Here are the criteria that must be met for a windscreen to be safely fixed.
- Size. The ability to fix large windscreen cracks or chips often changes depending on the technology being used, the location of the damage, and the repair company’s capabilities. However, as a rule of thumb, cracks up to three inches long and chips with a diameter that is smaller than one inch or 25 mm can be easily repaired.
- Location. The location of the damage has a big impact on whether if it can still be fixed or not. Any damage located farther than 7 cm from the edge of the windscreen can still be safely repaired. However, if the damage is located near the edge of the glass, then there is a big chance that the structural integrity of the windscreen is already compromised. Furthermore, the best windscreen replacement Birmingham experts do not recommend a repair if the damage is within the driver’s line of sight, since any repair will cause some distortion to the glass.
- Depth. Windscreen repair Carlisle professionals will also take into consideration the extent of the damage. The windscreen consists of an outer layer of glass, a plastic interlayer, and the inside layer that is also made of glass. A repair is no longer advisable if the damage went through the outer and inner layer of the glass.
When to replace your windscreen?
It’s always best to have your windscreen inspected by windscreen repair Carlisle experts. However, in general, you should replace your windscreen if:
- The glass is tempered and not laminated
- The chip or crack penetrated halfway through the glass
- The chip or crack extends to the outside of the vehicle glass
- The crack is longer than 14 inches or 350 mm
A Birmingham windscreen repairs expert will be able to help you identify if your windscreen is still salvageable or if it needs to be replaced already. It would be in your best interest to listen to the experts. So, don’t even try to save your windscreen if the professionals have already deemed it unrepairable. Visit allscreens-nationwide.co.uk to learn more.
For the best windscreen repairs Birmingham has to offer, you need to check a repair shop’s capabilities and efficiency. Allscreens Nationwide LTD provides fast and efficient repair and replacement services for all types of vehicle glass.